I decided to start out this burger mission at Max's Wine Dive. It's a pretty swanky place--some have said its a little too loud for fine dining. It didnt bother me much...i was there to indulge in some good food, and if its present, i can tune out anything or anyone. I didnt realize they had a "reverse happy-hour" that starts at midnight that includes 1/2 price appetizers...this would be a good time to sample some of their offerings. But i wasnt there for appetizers. I was there for the Yama Kobe burger. With the price tag of $18 i was expecting some burger bliss with maybe a commemorative bib or something. Unfortunately, this burger failed to meet my expectations. I ordered it medium-rare, i figured with a nice piece of quality meat, i shouldnt have to worry about pork/lamb contaminated beef. So the burger was juicy...i'll give it that. But there was some sort of backend taste. I hate to even think it, but almost like the cheese was bad. I've eaten cotija many times, and never has it had that type of lingering flavor.

One other critque that i have is the habanero salsa and jalapenos...way too sweet for my taste. I enjoy a good burn, but this one didnt offer a flicker. I hate to start out with such a negative vibe, but i didn't raise the bar that high--they did when they sold me a burger for 18 bucks---by the way, i want my bib!

No comments:
Post a Comment